Easy Curry Rice
Curry is a very popular dish in Japan and it is commonly served with rice. The curry rice recipe varies from people to people. I like making my curry using onions, potatoes, and beef. Carrot is also often used, but I choose to leave it out. Curry Rice is very easy to make since you can buy ready-made curry sauce mix. There are lots of different brands of curry mix, but I like to use Java Curry by House Foods Corporation. It can be found in most asian stores. I also like to add a little curry powder to spice things up even more! It’s also a good idea to make the curry the night before and eat it for lunch the next day. It tastes better that way!
This recipe makes about 3 servings
- 1/2 onion
- 2 small potatoes
- 8 oz of beef (or chicken)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 box or 6 blocks of curry mix
- salt and pepper for seasoning meat
- cooked rice
- Dice the onions into small pieces. Cut meat and potatoes into bite sized pieces. Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Add butter to a 3QT size pot and sauté onions over high heat. Stir in the meat when onions are lightly browned. Add curry powder and continue sautéing. Add potatoes.
- Add 2 cups of water and simmer until potatoes are ready (about 10 minutes).
- When potatoes are ready, add another 1 1/2 cups of water. When water boils, reduce to medium heat and add the curry mix. Add 1 block at a time to dissolve the curry mix and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When all the mix is dissolved and the curry is thickened, it’s ready to eat. Turn off heat and let it rest for a few minutes. Serve with rice.