Garlic Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
I saw a chef on a Korean cooking show adding a massive amount of garlic to his teriyaki chicken recipe. I got inspired and wanted to try. I tweaked my chicken teriyaki recipe and made it into a Garlic Teriyaki Chicken Bowl instead! I’m glad I took the risk!
This recipe makes about 2 bowls
- 12 oz chicken thigh fillet
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 green onion thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 tablespoon potato starch
- oil to cook chicken
- 3 tablespoon sake
- 2 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mirin
- 2 bowls of rice
- Mix the soy sauce, sake, sugar, and mirin in a small bowl. Mix well until the sugar dissolves. Remove excess fat from the chicken and cut to open up the thigh to even thickness.
- Spread the minced garlic on one side of each piece of chicken. Then coat with potato starch on both sides.
- Heat a frying pan and add a generous amount of oil (about 3 tablespoons). Pan-fry both sides of the chicken over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (or until chicken is done).
- When chicken is cooked on both sides, add the teriyaki sauce and let it simmer for just a minute or 2 (until liquid is reduced).
- Cut the chicken to bite sized pieces and serve over a bowl of rice. You can add thinly sliced green onion on top if desired.