My husband got me an electric takoyaki maker last year and I’ve been having way too much fun! I wanted to share how to make takoyaki so you can make it at home too!
Takoyaki is a ball-shaped Japanese snack mainly stuffed with octopus, beni shoga, and green onion. It’s like a miniature okonomiyaki except it’s gooey inside and round like a golf ball. It’s a popular street and festival food and I think they’re great for families and parties! They’re commonly shown on Japanese Dramas and Anime.
You can use takoyaki flour mix or okonomiyaki flour mix. There’s an Okonomiyaki kit at amazon.com which comes with everything you need except the mayo and the sauce. Don’t be discouraged if your takoyaki ends up a mess the first time. It takes a lot of practice to make pretty takoyaki, but that’s the fun part! With more practice, you’ll be a takoyaki master in no time.
This recipe makes about 22 pieces
- 80 grams blanched octopus, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon beni shoga, chopped
- 100 grams takoyaki mix or okonomiyaki mix
- 1 1/2 cup water (340cc)
- 1 egg
- oil, to brush
For the topping:
- Takoyaki or Okonomiyaki Sauce
- Kewpie Mayonnaise
- aonori (green/blue seaweed flakes)
- katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
Things You’ll Need
- Electric Takoyaki Maker or
- Small Takoyaki Pan (stovetop pan)
- Takoyaki Pick
- Okonomiyaki kit (comes with everything except mayo and the sauce)
- Prepare the ingredients. Blanch the octopus and dice it. Chop the green onion and mince the benishoga. Now make the batter by combining the takoyaki flour, water, and egg (you can click on the pictures to enlarge).
- Heat the Takoyaki pan. Brush on oil into each cup and top of the pan. Pour the batter into each cup. It’s ok for the batter overflow the cups.
- Now quickly add the octopus, green onion, and beni shoga into each cup.
- After a couple minutes, use a Takoyaki Pick and give each piece a 90 degree turn.
- Now use the pick and give another 90 degree turn, stuffing the edges as you turn. Keep rotating each piece to round out the shape. That will also evenly brown the pieces.
- Keep rotating each piece to round out the shape. That will also evenly brown the pieces. Top with takoyaki sauce, mayonnaise, aonori, katsuobushi, and enjoy! Be careful, the inside will be gooey and extremely hot!