I bought a 5 pound box of shrimp because it was on sale at the Japanese market. After I brought it home, I realized I had too much shrimp! I didn’t want to make the usual stuff and I remembered watching a cooking show where a Chinese chef made this Mayonnaise Shrimp dish. I’m glad I didn’t stick to the usual shrimp pasta or tempura, because this Mayonnaise Shrimp recipe was delicious! The sauce was light and sweet! The chef served this dish with spicy soup, but I made fried rice to go along with it.
This recipe makes about 2 servings
- 1/2 lb large tiger shrimp (26/30)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoon potato starch
- oil to fry
For the Sweet Lemon Mayonnaise Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk or cream
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, and milk (cream) together. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Remove the shell and tail from shrimp. Butterfly (make a cut along the back) and devein.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper. Mix seasoned shrimp with egg white then roll in potato starch.
- Deep fry in 2 batches until the shrimp is a light golden color (about a minute and a half). When the batches are done, fry all the shrimp together once more for about a minute while stirring the oil with long chopsticks to let the steam (moisture) out. Drain the oil from the fried shrimp on a paper towel. Drizzle the sweet lemon mayonnaise sauce on top and serve.