I made tonkatsu the other day and realized I had no rice! Luckily, I remembered eating Katsu-sando (tonkatsu sandwich) in Japan. Katsu-sando is quick and easy to make and great for bentos! I usually prepare lots of tonkatsu and freeze them until I need to use them (I let them thaw a bit before frying). Also, I like to add toasted sesame seeds (ground) to the tonkatsu sauce before using for more flavor.
This recipe makes 1 sandwich
- 1 Tonkatsu (read this recipe)
- 2 Slices of Bread
- 1/8 Shredded Cabbage
- Melted Butter (for bread)
- Tonkatsu Sauce
- Ground toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Thinly shred cabbage with slicer. Put shredded cabbage in a bowl of cold water until ready to use. Fry Tonkatsu.
- Brush one side of each bread with butter and cook on frying pan until it’s lightly toasted on each side.
- Drain shredded cabbage. Start with a piece of bread and then add the tonkatsu and tonkatsu sauce.
- Add shredded cabbage and mayonnaise, then top off with the other slice of bread. Cut sandwich in half and enjoy!