There’s one side dish I must always have with barbecue… It’s CORNBREAD!!! I don’t know why, but I’ve always loved the cornbread/barbecue combination since I was a child. My favorite way to eat cornbread is straight from the oven with a little bit of butter. This cornbread recipe will make a great side dish for your barbecue ribs or pulled pork! If you like super sweet cornbread, feel free to add more sugar. I add kernel corn and make them not as sweet.
I normally use an 8-Inch Square Pan, but my husband complained that not every piece had a nice crust. So to make my husband happy, I used a 12-Cup Muffin Pan and each little piece came out with a nice crust.
This recipe makes 12 pieces
- 1/2 cup butter melted (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar (about 100g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal (about 165g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 125g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup kernel corn
Things You’ll Need
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a standard 12 cup muffin pan or an 8 inch square pan.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda. Put aside. In another large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar. Then, add the 2 eggs and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk and stir in the flour/cornmeal mixture. Mix well again.
- Now add the kernel corn and mix again. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- Try the toothpick test to see if it comes out clean. Move to cooling rack before serving.