To make any type of sushi, you need sushi rice! Without it, your sushi is not sushi! I always use a rice cooker to make this sushi rice recipe, but you can use a pot too! Just follow directions on the back of your rice package. Use white, short grained rice. I use koshihikari. Kombu is optional, so if you can’t find it you can leave it out. It’s important to cool the sushi rice completely before using for best results!
This recipe makes 1 batch of sushi rice
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 piece of kombu (1 inch x 1 1/2 inch) (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Rinse 1 cup of rice in cold water. You’ll need to change the water several times until the water is clear. When water is clear, drain the water and let the rice sit for 30 minutes.
- Next, place the rice, 1 cup of water, and 1 piece of kombu in a rice cooker and cook. While rice is cooking, mix vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.
- When rice is done, discard kombu. Immediately move the hot rice to a mixing bowl and mix with the vinegar mixture. After mixing, let the sushi rice cool down completely before using.