How to Make Chili Oil
I make my own chili oil (layu, rayu) at home, because buying it can be expensive! Chili oil is fairly easy to make and is a great addition for Japanese-Chinese or Korean-Chinese inspired dishes. It also fills the house with a nice aroma!
This chili oil recipe makes about a cup of chili oil. Once the oil cools down, pour it into a cute bottle and try giving it as a gift.
This recipe makes about 1 cup
- 1 1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup Korean Red Chili Flakes (Coarse Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Put the oil, chili flakes, and minced garlic in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Keep stirring so the chili flakes don’t burn. Let it bubble for about 30 seconds and turn off heat. Remember to keep stirring. Use a strainer and discard the pepper flakes and garlic.
- Let the oil cool down and move to a bottle. Store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.