Crab Cream Croquette
I love any type of Japanese korokke (croquette), but kani kurimu korokke (crab cream croquette) is my favorite. You’ll bite through the crispy panko shell and end up in a creamy crab sauce heaven. Pair kani kurimu korokke with curry and you’ll lose your mind for bit… You can often find characters losing their minds in Anime over Crab Cream Croquettes.
This Crab cream croquette recipe is easy to make and it freezes well, so you can make this ahead of time and use as needed (just follow the steps before the deep frying part and individually wrap and freeze). I have a ton of these in my freezer ready to go to serve with cold beer or curry. They’re great for bentos too!
This recipe makes about 3 servings
- 100 grams crab meat (more if you like)
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to season
- flour, to dust
- 1 beaten egg
- Panko Bread Crumbs, to coat
- oil to fry
- optional sauces (tonkatsu sauce or curry)
Things You’ll Need
- Have the filling ingredients measured and ready to go. Thinly slice the onion with a Mandoline Slicer.
- Heat a sauté pan and sauté the onions with butter until lightly caramelized. Add the flour and mix well.
- Now add the milk and cream and season with salt and pepper. Stir and let the sauce thicken a bit. Add the corn kernels and crab meat and mix well. Turn off heat and let the mixture cool a little. Then move the mixture into a container and refrigerate about an hour or until the mixture has hardened.
- Divide the mixture into 5 pieces and form a patty shape (or shape of your choice). Dust each patty with flour and dip into the beaten egg.
- Now coat with Panko Bread Crumbs and deep fry until golden brown.
- Serve with tonkatsu sauce or CURRY for the ultimate foodie experience!