Blue Crab California Roll
California Rolls make great appetizers for parties. They also make a good side dish to serve with Chicken Teriyaki on a bento tray.
A lot of restaurants use imitation crab meat and charge a lot of money for California Rolls, so try making this at home with real crab meat. For this California Roll Recipe, I used the Blue Star brand blue crab meat (claw) and it turned out yummy! You can also leave out the cucumber and avocado to make Blue Crab Rolls!
This recipe makes about 2 rolls
- 1 batch sushi rice (read this recipe)
- 6 oz Blue Crab Meat (170g)
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 baby cucumber (Julienne strips)
- 1 avocado
- 2 sheets toasted nori
- wasabi (optional)
Things You’ll Need
- Make sushi rice. Set aside and let it cool down completely.
- Mix crab meat and mayonnaise together. Cut the baby cucumber into strips and slice avocado.
- Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap. Cut about 2 inches of nori. Use the larger nori.
- Place sushi rice on the rough side of the nori and flip over so the rice faces down on the mat. Dab a little bit of wasabi, then fill with cucumber strips, avocado, and blue crab meat.
- Roll the bamboo sushi mat forward while keeping the ingredients in place with your fingers. Form into a cylinder shape. Press the bamboo sushi mat firmly and then remove the rolled sushi.
- Cut into 6 pieces and serve with soy sauce and wasabi.